Giving your gums the proper care is just as important for your health.
When we think about caring for our smiles, we often think about how to get teeth white and clean. But what about your gums? Don’t they need a little TLC, too? If gums are left by the wayside, as they often can be, you may find yourself dealing with some serious issues, including gum disease. And if you are looking for a way to treat your gum disease, then our Lansing, MI cosmetic dentists Dr. Laura Dyras and Dr. Michael Hutcheson have the treatments you’ve been looking for.
Gum disease ranges in severity depending on how soon we were able to catch and manage your disease. As many as half of American adults suffer from this condition that causes red, inflamed and receding gums and even tooth loss. But getting periodontal therapy in Lansing can help. Treatment options include,
Nonsurgical Periodontal Treatments
- Scaling and root planing (This is a common treatment for those with gum disease, as it helps to remove tartar and plaque buildup from the gumline and tooth roots.)
- Routine cleanings to maintain healthier gums
- Placing antibiotics within infected gum pockets to heal disease
- Creating night guards (Tooth loss or jaw deterioration can affect your bite and put pressure on certain teeth more than others. To prevent damage to teeth, night guards or bite guards can be used to reposition the jaw and prevent this unnecessary wear and tear.)
- Diagnosing lesions and abscesses
Surgical Periodontal Treatment
- Gum pocket reduction surgery
- Bone grafting surgery (Often performed prior to getting implants, this surgery may be recommended if gum disease has caused tooth loss and jawbone deterioration.)
- Soft tissue grafting (to improve the shape and appearance of receding gums)
- Dental implants (to replace missing teeth)
- Ridge augmentation (to rebuild hard and soft tissue caused by missing teeth)
Periodontal health is important. Don’t forget about keeping those gums happy. If you are interested in finding out how periodontal therapy could help your condition then it’s time to call Dyras Dental in Lansing, MI to get the dental care your smile deserves.